Saturday, February 25, 2012

RECIPE TIME!!! Hot and Sour Soup!


Since I've started this experiment/lifestyle change, I've learned that it takes a lot more effort to create meals. I've never been opposed to cooking but I just haven't had a need to expand my repertoire til now. Thank god for the internet or else I would've starved. People have shared some amazing recipes. I figured that until Ashley and I can learn how to configure a blog so that we can have links to a separate recipe page, I'll just make blog posts for them.

This recipe was taken from Ming Tsai. I saw the Dr. Oz show a few weeks ago and it was all about immunity. Ming said that this hot and sour soup was a fantastic immune booster because of the shiitaki mushrooms in it. Not to mention it's incredibly easy to make! I've adjusted the recipe to exclude the chicken stock so that it's truly vegan. I've also made a few minor changes just for my own tastes. That's the beauty of recipes: you can do whatever the hell you want to them!


1 TBS Olive oil
2 Habaneros (or jalapenos for you wimps)
1 TBS minced ginger
3 cloves chopped garlic
2 Bunches of green scallions sliced
1 lb shiitakes, stems removed, sliced
2 1/2 quarts VEGETABLE stock (or however much will fit in your stock pot)
2 TBS soy soy or tamari
Juice of 2 lemons
1 block silken firm tofu, diced into cubes
2 cups shredded carrots

Heat the oil in a stockpot. Add the garlic, ginger, hot peppers and scallions. Saute for a few minutes. Add mushrooms. Saute til softened about 5 minutes.

Add stock and soy sauce, bring to a simmer and reduce slightly, about 10 minutes. Add lemon juice, tofu, and carrots. Simmer for another 10 minutes.


Or totally do whatever you want, add the ingredients as you wish, change the cooking times. I changed a lot from the original recipe. I combined mine and Mings version to come up with this one. The first time I made this I ate the entire pot in a few hours. Since then, I've made it a couple of time but it's still freakin awesome. Try it, let me know what you think!


~K~


No comments:

Post a Comment