Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Beginners Guide to Vegan Food Shopping


As Ashleys start date for veganism approaches, she made me think of a great topic to write about: how to approach food shopping. When people think of vegans, they immediately think of the produce section and how vegans have to practically live there in order to survive. That's not true as I've found out the past few weeks. Yes, I spend the majority of my budget on fruits and vegetables BUT there's so much more to the vegan diet.
I did a good amount of research prior to starting my challenge. I still stressed out like whoa on day 1. The night before, I went to Whole Foods. I agonized over the produce section, was overwhelmed by the choices and spent waaaaaay too much money. But my research had me well prepared and my purchases were smart enough to create meals that were perfectly vegan and actually appetizing. SO! I have compiled a basic list of items to purchase when deciding to go vegan. Obviously not everyone will want to buy each and every thing listed but it will give you a better idea when in the market.

Produce section:
*Here is the backbone of your diet. You will want to focus primarily in this part but obviously avoid anything that you don't like or have an allergy to.*

Starting with the vegetables:
  • Peppers-green, red, yellow
  • Onions-red, vidalia, yellow
  • Carrots-baby carrots are my favorite for snacking
  • Spinach
  • Kale
  • Cucumbers
  • Celery
  • Tomatoes-cherry and regular
  • Radishes
  • Hummus (SERIOUSLY SO GOOD)
Onto fruit, try to buy local as often as you can. It's healthier and helps local farmers:
  • Grapes
  • Bananas
  • Apples
  • Oranges
  • Grapefruit (ick, i don't eat that)
  • Plums
  • Peaches
  • Pears
Enough with the obvious choices. Make your own decisions here people. Salads are an easy way to kick off a vegan diet. Focus on what you know and go from there!

Grains/Starches:

Some people are surprised to know they can have pasta as a vegan. You just need to become accustomed to reading labels. Some pastas can contain eggs or other dairy items. LEARN TO READ LABELS.

  • Quinoa-great grain, similar to couscous. Excellent source of protein. Found in grocery stores.
  • Whole grain, whole wheat pasta
  • Whole grain brown rice
  • Steel cut oats-found in the cereal aisle, pure form of quick oatmeal. Takes longer to cook but better for you
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Regular russet potatoes

Canned Goods:
While I don't like canned foods because of their amount of salt, I also know it's impossible to avoid them. Make sure to rinse after opening to remove excess salt. Easy to use, good to keep on hand for stews, salads etc. Excellent source of fiber.

  • Black beans
  • Chickpeas
  • Kidney beans
  • Pinto beans
  • Corn

Dairy: Obviously vegan means NO DAIRY. No cheese, milk, yogurt etc.
  • BUT! Soymilk is a necessity. I use it for post-workout smoothies.
Frozen foods: Buying frozen is just as good as fresh but more cost effective.
  • Fruit: berries, pineapple, mangos etc. Use for smoothies, oatmeal etc.
  • Vegetables: green beans, edamame (soybeans), corn, peas etc.
***I still maintain that organic and GMO/Pesticide free food is the best way to go but sometimes, the cost is just too high. Do the best that your budget will allow.


This isn't a complete list. It's just a starting point. There's always seeds, nuts, seaweed (don't hate, it's got lots of nutrients), stock, spices and snacks.

Do your research. Read a book. Talk to people. I'm not an expert. I'm just a girl who has taken the time to learn.

Happy shopping!!

~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment